Check out our other websites: Babble alt|meat GiftBox Epigroove

Difficulty: Hard Friday, August 10, 2018

Not Completed Play This Puzzle

CHAT LOG for Friday, August 10, 2018

12:03 am

I think I was looking at the same poll, just misconstrued the findings in my memory - getting old! And yes the poll was small, but even if the margin for error is increased by 10% it's still ufathomable.
12:04 am

SJ - why are politicians appointing judges at all? at any level.
12:05 am

The UK and Australia seem to have a qite independent judiciary and it works fine. Seems to judge the moral compass of the public rather than extremist politicians too!
12:07 am

We also have compulsory voting. Seems to work well enough. It seems in the US you have a very low voter turnout. As we all fought for the right to vote, we really should all be exercising that right. We are all too comfortable in our democracies.
12:07 am

12:07 am

not sure I'm in an expert mood, but we'll see
12:18 am

12:31 am

Done 2 correct guesses
1:44 am

Done. one guess
2:11 am

Judy: Those numbers refer to the Senate. By 2040, about 70% of Americans are expected to live in the 15 largest states They will have only 30 senators representing them, while the remaining 30% of Americans will have 70 senators representing them.
2:20 am

And then, of course, that also by its nature refers to Presidential elections. Unless there's a major rewrite of electoral college numbers, which is unlikely in the extreme, the vote of people in the smaller states will continue to outweigh the votes of people in the larger; this is because there's a hard minimum to the number of electors a state can have.
5:13 am

8:45 am

Got it...thx. One thing I have always struggled with is, since I live in a small town, our needs are different from those of folks in cities. But the sheer number of city votes outweigh ours so that when you look at our county election results, they very seldom are the same as the state results. Our congressional districts provide our only voice.
9:16 am

This is all about greed. The electoral college was created during slavery. Since the southern states would have been under represented in The House because slaves were not considered people a compromise was reached where the slaves would be counted as 3/5 of a human for census and tax apportionment purposes. The Electoral College should be banned for that reason alone. One other thing, all you 2nd Amendment gun nuts who believe this amendment is license to have no restrictions on guns because you can only remain free if you have the right to rise up against "tyranny". If you rise up against the U.S. government be it led by Obama or Trump you become an enemy and all elected officials and military personal are sworn to protect the country from all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC? So Fake Patriots trying to hold on to your gun addiction, how does it feel to be used by the weapons industry to feed your gun fix addiction and actually misinterpret the constitution to possibly commit treason in the name of profit?
4:46 pm

ஜ۩۞۩ஜ C.O.M.P.L.E.T.E.D ஜ۩۞۩ஜ
4:46 pm

Tuco - not try to be a smart-alek - I am being serious. Was't the constitutional convention held in 1787? And wasn't the electoral college selected as the method of presidential election then? If I recall correctly, there were only 13 states extant at that time, so I do not understand your argument concerning slave state representation as a major contributing factor. I do not dispute the depravity and immorality of slavery and I am not stating either way whether the electoral college system is good or bad - just trying to understand your argument from a historical perspective.
4:51 pm

Samantha - While your numbers about senatorial representation may prove to be accurate - the numbers have always been skewed towards over representation of less populated states. This is by design in the constitution since each state is allocated 2 senators. The deficit in representation is made up by the House of Representatives where each state is allocated a percentage of representatives based on relative population.
9:01 pm

Yes, KT, I understand both how it works and why it was designed that way.

That design may have worked for us once, but it no longer does.
9:21 pm

done, first guess in the end.
10:40 pm

Then you also understand that the Constitution makes provision for changing the electoral college system or anything else in the Constitution through the amendment process or through a convention of states. Therefore is a majority of people in the country want a change, the method for change is available.
10:42 pm

Of course there are other non-constitutional methods such as judicial activism (rather limited) or popular revolution - not to mention takeover by a foreign power.